Thursday, 16 March 2017

Now Known As

Mum's Boiled Fruit Cake

-

4oz each currants, raisins, & sultanas

25 glacé cherries (halved)

2oz mixed peel

6oz soft brown sugar

4oz butter

1/2 pint milk

1/2 tsp bicarb

1 tsp mixed spice

2oz walnuts

Place all above ingredients in a saucepan and allow to come gently to the boil.

Keep boiling for five minutes.

Leave to cool slightly.

Stir in 3 beaten eggs and 12oz self raising flour.

Place mixture in a greased and lined tin.

Ensure all mixture is removed from pan with a spoon, and that spoon is licked clean!

Baking...

Fan oven 150C for 40 then 140C for 30 mins

Conventional oven 160C for 40 then 150C for 30 mins

Best left for a week to mature...but this hardly ever happens!

Blessings J. x

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like the perfect cake to my husband. Right up his street 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in America, fruit cake is the butt of jokes for the most part. Not something that many people make or eat I don't think. My mother in law used to make the most delicious fruit cake though. She would only make it at Christmas time. It was very dense but very moist at the same time. I believe she got the recipe from her Irish grandmother. Maybe I'll get adventurous and make one some day. : ) Thanks for sharing your recipe. xo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for that Jackie.
    It's very different to the Bero one so hopefully this will keep for a bit longer-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might try this but without the cherries and walnuts - devil's food. X 😈

    ReplyDelete

I read all comments before publishing. If I think a comment would offend anyone I will not publish it.